- 2501 Canal Rd, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
The Canal Station Light Tower was built in 1899 on the northern side of the entrance to the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. As boat traffic increased through the canal, it was determined that the Pierhead Light was not sufficient to guide ships, so Congress appropriated funds for this new coastal light, known as the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Lighthouse. The lantern room was originally fitted with a third-order Fresnel lens that could be seen up to 50 miles away. The light was fully automated in 1972.
The Ship Canal Light can be viewed by parking in the lot outside the station’s gate and following the driveway leading from the front gate to the seawall, but the grounds are only open to the public during the Lighthouse Walk held the second weekend of June.