- 613 Dodge St, Kewaunee, WI 54216
- +1 (920) 388-7176
Built in 1876, this building housed the sheriff’s family, his office, and the six cells in the jail section. It was designed by renowned William Waters, who also designed some of the original buildings for the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
The museum now houses the donated collections of the Kewaunee County Historical Society, including Native American artifacts and collections of Edward Decker, who is considered the founder of Kewaunee County. The jail has one cell in its original configuration with its straw-filled mattress and thin blanket. The steel walls, cold concrete floor, and cage-like doors remind one of the dungeons in old movies. A must see for anyone interested in history!