Construction of Long Tail Point Lighthouse began in 1847. The tower was over 51 feet tall with a diameter of over fourteen and a half feet. A birdcage lantern room at the top of the tower featured nine lamps set in fourteen-inch reflectors. A keeper’s dwelling was built nearby, and the station was activated in 1848. A sixth-order Fresnel lens was installed in 1856.
Due to rising lake levels, a new two and a half story lighthouse was constructed on higher ground in 1859. This was converted to a keeper’s dwelling and yet another lighthouse built atop the offshore pier in 1899. Although the keeper’s dwelling and newer lighthouse have since been demolished or destroyed, the original 1849 stone tower still stands at the tip of Long Point today.