The Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is home to the largest and most complete collection of historic lighthouses and light towers in the country. For over 100 years, these structures provided safety and navigation to boats traveling on Lake Superior. Now they serve as a memorial to the area’s rich maritime history.
Two of the lighthouses, the Raspberry Island Lighthouse and the Old Michigan Island Lighthouse, have been fully restored and are open for ranger guided tours during the summer months. Apostle Islands Cruises operates shuttles to these lighthouses multiple times per week during peak season. Private water taxi service can also be arranged.
Complete list of the lighthouses and light towers of the Apostle Islands:
Old Michigan Island Lighthouse, built 1856
Old La Pointe Lighthouse, Long Island, built 1858
Raspberry Island Lighthouse, built 1862
Outer Island Lighthouse, built 1874
Sand Island Lighthouse, built 1881
Devils Island Light Tower, temporary tower built 1891, permanent tower built 1898
New La Pointe Light Tower, Long Island, built 1897
Chequamegon Point Light Tower, Long Island, built 1897
New Michigan Island Light Tower, built in Pennsylvania 1880, dismantled 1918, re-erected on Michigan Island 1929
Ashland Harbor Light, built 1916
(SOURCED FROM BAYFIELD.ORG)