- 1 Steele St, Algoma, WI 54201
The original lighthouse was a square, wooden tower painted white with a black, hexagonal iron lantern. The current red lighthouse was established in 1908, and a foghorn was added 1910. It had a fixed red lens lantern illuminating toward the lake. General Douglas MacArthur helped design the pier as an engineer. The lighthouse and pier have not changed much since 1932.
The lighthouse is still in operation and serves as a favorite backdrop for photos. In 2019 the 5th order Fresnel Lens was removed and placed in the North Point Lighthouse Museum in Milwaukee, where they have a 4th and 6th order lens. The lens was replaced with LED lights which are less expensive and more easily maintained.