The first range lights were installed in Kewaunee in 1891. The current square lighthouse resembles the Holland Lighthouse and was first lit in 1931, and few changes have been made since. The white, red roofed structure is steel-frame constructed and covered with quarter inch steel plate. The tower height is 43 feet and there are no living quarters in the house. The original lens was a fifth order Fresnel lens, which was automated in 1981 but still shines from the lighthouse today. The lighthouse is located on the south pier and is currently owned by the City of Kewaunee, which has plans to restore the lighthouse to its original grandeur.