The 950 was built in July 1900 by the Baldwin Locomotive Company of Philadelphia, PA. It was the largest steam locomotive in the world at that time and is the only decapod (10-wheel drive) engine ever built.
Originally numbered 600 by the Soo Line, the locomotive was put in service between Minneapolis, MN, and Sault Ste. Marie, MI. In 1912 it was renumbered 950 and sent to work the ore docks in Superior, WI. The engine was retired in 1954 when steam operations concluded, and the 950 was donated to the City of Ashland in 1956.