Lighthouses & Light Stations
Wisconsin’s Great Lakes have long been highways of commerce, connecting harbor towns to other cities with the 1885 opening of the locks at Sault Ste. Marie, and to the world via the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959. Transforming the people and landscape for more than 180 years, these lights have guided ships on all of the Great Lakes. Wisconsin’s coasts are home to over 50 lighthouses and stations with more than 30 of these historic structures still functioning and open to the public.